Like the Local Centre Coordinator, the responsibility of the coach to be aware of and manage risk is very important. As a local centre leader the coach should conduct the venue inspection checklist (VIC) prior to every session delivery. The VIC, provided to all local centres as a resource to support safety, will often assist in injury prevention and increased safety. In company to the VIC, coaches should also consider the following:
RISK CONSIDERATIONS - REDUCING THE RISK
- Educate participants on the importance of looking up when running to avoid collisions.
- If a collision occurs stop the game immediately to eliminate further risk.
- Always utilise the whole space.
- Encourage distance to reduce collisions, interference and interruption.
- Educate participants on the importance of being ready to catch a pass.
- Encourage peripheral vision and attentiveness.
Other facility users
- Identify and educate participants on their surroundings and other programs being delivered at the same time as your Vicinity Centres Aussie Hoops session.
- Promote safety and educate participants on best practice ball retrieval and interruption to other facility users.
Leaving the session
- Define the rules for participants who wish to temporarily leave the session (i.e. toilet usage).
- Encourage parental guidance or the buddy system.
- The participant is the coaches’ responsibility during session delivery, on and off the court.