SENIOR FIRST AID TRAINING
Basketball Australia encourages all Local Centre Coordinators and coaches to have a current and recognised senior first aid training certificate prior to coordinating a Vicinity Centres Aussie Hoops program or delivering a Vicinity Centres Aussie Hoops session. A typical senior first aid qualification takes two days to complete and should be paid for by your local association or club.
Senior first aid training courses address the ‘STOP’ safety procedure, ‘RICER’ injury management procedure and ‘DR ABC’ emergency procedure, all of which should be understood and be able to be performed by Local Centre Coordinators and coaches.
Local Centre Coordinators should always:
- Have access to a telephone to call an ambulance if required;
- Have information about the participants’ medical history;
- Have and know how to access up to date first aid equipment at the local centre;
- Be able to administer basic first aid; and
- Ensure an injury report form is completed and provided to the State or Territory Vicinity Centres Aussie Hoops contact.